I want to take a moment to celebrate with you as our first iPhone application, “Mysteries of the Holy Rosary“, reached 25,000 downloads this week.
This free application is a meditation and instructive aid for those praying the Rosary. It does not replace your Rosary beads, but rather helps you focus on the Mysteries of the Holy Rosary.
As a new Catholic, I had a difficult time remembering which mysteries matched each day. Although many other great iPhone Rosary apps allow you to ditch your physical Rosary, I wanted to experience the beauty of those venerable beads, as a tool to meditate on our Lord. So I built this app specifically to require zero input. Just open it and it will automatically select the mystery that matches today. If you’d like more you can switch to other mysteries, focus in on the beautiful artwork, or see simple instructions on how to pray the Rosary.
If you haven’t had an opportunity to look at the app for yourself, you can download it at the iTunes App Store.
We have several other apps in the queue. If you have any suggestions for Catholic iPhone apps you’d like to see, please share them in the comments below.
UPDATE: Apple just approved our second iPhone App: Life Rosary – Meditations and Prayers. This is the first Pro-Life iPhone app approved by Apple. Please consider downloading/rating/reviewing this application as well.
Index of Artwork
The Glorious Mysteries of the Rosary
- The Resurrection of Christ by Paolo Veronese (1570)
- Ascension of Christ by Garofalo (1510-20)
- The Descent of the Holy Ghost by Tiziano Vecellio (1545)
- The Assumption of the Virgin by Nicolas Poussin (1650)
- Coronation of the Virgin by Diego Velázquez (1641)
The Joyful Mysteries of the Rosary
- The Annunciation by Francesco Albani (1645)
- The Visitation by Juan Correa De Vivar (1532)
- Nativity by Jean-Baptiste-Marie Pierre (1770)
- The Presentation in the Temple by Philippe de Champaigne (1648)
- Jesus is found in the Temple by James Tissot (1890)
The Luminous Mysteries of the Rosary
- Baptism of Christ by Francesco Albani (1640)
- The Marriage at Cana by Marten de Vos (1597)
- The Sermon on the Mount by Carl Heinrich Bloch (1875)
- The Transfiguration by Raphael (1519)
- The Institution of the Eucharist by Nicolas Poussin (1640)
The Sorrowful Mysteries of the Rosary
- Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane by Sebastiano Conca (1746)
- The Flagellation of Our Lord Jesus Christ by William Bouguereau (1880)
- Crowning with Thorns by Tiziano Vecelli (Titian) (1545)
- Christ Falling on the Way to Calvary by Raphael (1516)
- Crucifixion by Josse Lieferinxe (1500)